Thursday 2 April 2015

The Changeling at The Sam Wanamaker Playhouse

The Changeling is....I find myself struggling to finish this sentence. Anyone who's ever read or seen the play will be feeling my pain. It's humorous yet darkly intricate at best and random and fragmented at worst. Those of us who find ourselves reading more and more obscure Jacobean plays as the weeks go by (no? Just me?) will be well aware of the questionable sub-plots that crop up from time to time. The Changeling, however, takes this to another level. As what can only be assumed is a comical relief from Beatrice-Joanna and DeFlores' spree of murder, manipulation, and rape is a random spattering of scenes in a psychiatric hospital, concerning various patients, the Dr, and his wife. 

Sounds pretty far-fetched, right? And potentially very tricky for a modern day theatre to produce. The recently born Sam Wanamaker Playhouse took on the challenge, and who better? The only theatre in the country which has attempted to mimic the seventeenth century Blackfriars indoor playhouse - complete with candles, claustrophobia, and uncomfortable seating. It is an unbeatably fascinating experience, never have I been so close to the actors, so utterly focussed on the action onstage, so aware of my fellow audience members.

In terms of the performance, if I had been in any other theatre I probably would have zoned out on more than one occasion. I was lucky enough to nab a seat in the Musicians' Gallery, behind/above the stage. I say lucky in terms of being so near the live, authentically dressed musicians, the site of a psychiatric patient invasion in the second half, and being able to see both sides of the stage pretty equally. It was perhaps unlucky in particular for this performance, as manyof the hospital scenes were based upstage, in particular actually within the walls and doors connecting to backstage. As such, no matter how much we clambered over the bannister and craned our necks downwards, we couldn't see any of the comical elements of these scenes, rendering this subplot pretty much redundant. However, I'm willing to relent that this was only a problem for the eight of us in these seats. By all accounts - and by this I mean all the whooping and guffawing going on from the rest of the audience - these scenes were real comic highlights of the whole production.

To the main plot: I found Beatrice-Joanna too breathy and monotonous, and DeFlores too comical. This may sound harsh, but by the end I actually thought, maybe this is the best way to portray the characters. Maybe I've always taken the play too seriously, and maybe that's the problem. After all, Beatrice-Joanna is changeable, unlikeable and unsympathetic. DeFlores is creepy, disloyal, and only seems to open up to the audience. No matter how much I wanted to take these characters seriously, the way they were portrayed merely emphasised the ridiculous nature of the play and the fickle motivations of all the characters. What I initially felt was negative has apparently transmuted into a positive since my initial trip to the theatre.

Prior to the performance, I was lucky enough to attend Middleton expert Gary Taylor's lecture on the interior nature of the play. I realised, The Changeling is the perfect play for the enclosed and dark atmosphere of the Sam Wanamaker Playhouse. I'm not sure I would ever have raving reviews of a production of The Changeling, but thanks to the unexpected portrayal of characters and oppressive environment, it was one of the most exciting and authentic theatre experiences I've ever had.

SWP still have some great productions coming up before the end of the season, have a browse and buy tickets here. Whatever you do, make sure you pay attention to the candles, the productions use them in innovative and unique ways and scenes often revolve around them, something you're really not going to experience anywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment